It has been a tumultuous week, but together, we persevered. Throughout the week, the resilience, and unshakable character of the Northeastern community – and our entire city – has been on full display.

Together, we’ve been – and will continue to be – Boston strong.

As my wife and I visited the dining halls last night, we were impressed and awed by the empathy of the Northeastern family – students, faculty colleagues, and staff – despite the disturbing and unpredictable events of the day.

I thank each of you for the grace and care you have shown each other. I commend our colleagues in Public Safety, Dining Services, and Student Affairs, who made special efforts to assure that our students were looked after while the “shelter in place” recommendation was in effect.

I also want to acknowledge once again the more than 50 Northeastern physical therapy students, nursing students, and students working at area hospitals who cared for the injured and assisted in the response at the Marathon site. You’ve made us so proud – and have the thanks of a grateful city.

Finally, we’re so grateful that the Northeastern students, parents, and members of our university family who were injured at the Marathon are recovering. Even as we begin to move on, I know that all of us will continue to keep the victims of Monday’s attack in our hearts and minds.

As always, counseling resources are available to members of our community who may need them. Northeastern students can contact the WeCare program at wecare@neu.edu or (617) 373-4384. Northeastern faculty and staff may contact the Employee Assistance Program at (877) 739-3989.

As all of you know, the end of the academic year is a time of culminations, celebrations, and new beginnings. We’ve been through a lot together these past few days.  Now, as Commencement approaches in less than two weeks, I know all of us are eager to look ahead and embrace the spirit of the season at Northeastern.

I look forward to all of us sharing in the excitement and joy together!

Sincerely,

Joseph E. Aoun
President