This month marks a historic moment in our nation’s history as the first African-American is sworn in as president of the United States. I can think of no better way to recognize the deep significance of this occasion than by honoring the man who gave voice to the civil rights movement that has led us to this point: Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I welcome the entire University community to join me at Northeastern’s annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Convocation, sponsored by the John D. O’Bryant African-American Institute, on Wednesday, January 14, at 11:45 a.m. in Blackman Auditorium.

At the convocation, we will hear from the Reverend Dr. John Silvanus Wilson, Jr., associate professor in the School of Education and Human Development at the George Washington University. Rev. Wilson has been a leader in the African-American community and has deep ties to the Boston community from his time as a student at Harvard and in his early career at MIT.

I hope that you will join me for the convocation on the 14th. A reception with Rev. Wilson will follow in the new Gallery 360 in the Ell Concourse to view a special exhibit sponsored by the African-American Master Artists-in-Residency Program. Details about the exhibit will be announced prior to the convocation.

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Joseph E. Aoun,

President